A well regulated militia, being
necessary to the security of a free state,
the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall
not be infringed.
NRA Gun Safety Rules in Brief
The fundamental NRA rules for safe gun handling are:
1. Always keep the gun pointed in a safe direction.
2. Always keep your finger off the trigger until ready to shoot.
3. Always keep the gun unloaded until ready to use.
When using, cleaning, or storing a gun, always follow these NRA rules as well:
- Be sure the gun is safe to operate.
- Know how to use the gun safely.
- Use only the correct ammunition for your gun.
- Know your target and what is beyond.
- Wear eye and ear protection as appropriate.
- Never use alcohol or over-the-counter, prescription, or other drugs before or while shooting.
- Before cleaning your gun, check and be absolutely certain that it is unloaded.
- Store guns so they are not accessible to unauthorized persons.
- Be aware that certain types of guns and many shooting activities require additional safety precautions.
These and other gun safety rules are presented and expounded upon
in various NRA publications, which should be considered required
reading by responsible shooters. This material also is covered in
detail in our NRA/NYSRPA Pistol Safety Course, our Introduction to Light Rifle Shooting Course, and our NRA FIRST STEPS Pistol/Rifle Orientation Program.
Gun safety rules and related information also can be found at these
and National Shooting Sports Foundation
Always comply with all regulations at club, private, and public ranges.
Always comply with all federal, state, and local firearm laws, rules, and regulations.